My final blog of 2018 is my worst reads of the year, although for once only 2 of them incite any strong feelings in me the rest are just kind of meh books, that dont really say anything. These are the books that elicit the teacher response of not being angry just slightly disappointed, but they’ve made the list anyway so in no particular order except for the top 2 worst , here we go.
10) Wotakoi – A book about falling in love as otaku (geeks) that just makes zero point and isn’t that well written and when it falls into a similar category as my girlfriends a geek and himoutu umaru chan both of which are stellar reads you realise why it makes a list like this. Full of promise but a massive miss for me
9) an abundance of Katherines by John Green – I really like john green and several of his books could make some of my top lists, he’s a great YA read. But this book is kind of mediocre and disappointing, a boy has a mathematical formula for why he never falls in love and then discovers that life doesnt match his formula, I finished this book because it was a short read not because it was amazing.
8) Freedom by Margaret atwood – this is meant to be a collection of essays but turned out to be one essay and a lot of chapters from her other works, not worth the purchase price for me.
7) The Hellbound heart by clive barker – I read cabal this year and really enjoyed it and found it super scary, so i thought the hellbound heart would be a great read but again it didn’t really take off as a read for me. Maybe works better as a movie than a novel
6) As miss Beelzebub likes – another manga that really doesnt go anywhere with an interesting concept, if you want a fun manga from this year i would recommend sleepy princess in the demon castle.
5) Women and power a manifesto by Mary Beard – Another quick read that makes several points im not sure i overly agree with. I don’t overly like Mary beard as a presenter and this applies to her writing style too, this is a matter of personal politics though so other people would probably like it more.
4) A golden thread an unofficial critical history of wonder woman by philip sandifer – I love wonder woman and had high hopes for this, but it is very much a biased opinion on the part of the author and whilst it gives a comprehensive history of the comics and tv shows it very clearly tries to influence you to follow the authors own opinions. This really biased approach grates on you after a while.
3) Nier Automata (long story short) – This is a book based on a video game. The hubster plays the video game and it looks amazing but the book is quite incomprehensible and doesn’t match the clever twists and turns that the game has to offer. Its another one of those quick reads that you finish because its short rather than its interesting.
2) Max einstein by James Patterson – This sounds amazing as a premise its about a kick ass girl scientist trying to make the world a better place with science. This is great especially as we have a shortage of people and women especially studying science. However that makes it even worse that it is just a dialled in attempt at a kids novel that doesn’t have anything really to say. James patterson seems to have lost the boil slightly as an author and this novel could do more harm than good when it comes to convincing people to study the sciences. Also second kick ass teenage girl called max in a james patterson YA book so he’s even out of ideas for names.
- and finally the worst read of 2018 and this is truly terrible. The poison belt by arthur conan doyle – this is a radium age sci fi novel, these can usually be pretty interesting reads but this one is definitely of its time and made me genuinely angry as i read it. Based on a cloud that covers the world and sends people unconscious or as theorised in the novel to their deaths. It is one short casually racist read. The main character has a servant that he went to war with that he just casually lets die even though he describes him as one of the family at the start and conan doyle in the novel brushes off the death of the servant with a sort of its ok hes of the lower classes mentality. I find it hard to believe that this wasnt offensive when it was published and found it so morally reprehensible now that I couldnt even pass it on to a second hand store becuase i wouldnt want anyone else to have to read it. Combined with a less than stellar plot this is by far my worst read of the year and would probably hit a worse of all time list. I’m not adding the amazon link for this one because i genuinely dont think anyone should read it