We recently held a poll of our members on the UK crime book club site on facebook, to discover who their top authors were, the only rules we had were that the author had to be a member of our book club, the results surprised us and make a pretty awesome list of book recommendations from us to you.
With no further ado here are our top 20 starting with number 1, also to be the author of the month for April, I will include amazon links if you want to check them out, if you do purchase pop over to the UK crime book club on facebook, we have author chats with a lot of the authors on the list lined up over the next few months:
1) Caroline Mitchell – Caroline is renowned for her crime thriller series, featuring DC Jennifer Knight. These crime thrillers are infused by Caroline’s personal experiences in both the police and the paranormal. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dont-Turn-Around-thrilling-page-turner-ebook/dp/B00V6DTAYM/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8
2) Robin Roughley – Robin writes a series of crime thrillers about DS lasser, there are currently 11 of these crime novels all set in Wigan and surrounding areas. The first one in the series Needle house is currently 99p on Amazon.
3) Elly Griffiths – Elly writes books about forensic archaeologist Ruth galloway, inspired by her Husband who trained as an archaeologist. She also recently started writing a new series, featuring Max Mephisto based on the world of variety shows and magic.
4) C L Taylor – CL Taylor’s first psychological thriller THE ACCIDENT was one of the top ten bestselling debut novels of 2014, She has recently released her third thriller the Missing to much acclaim.
5) Mel Sherratt – writes gritty crime dramas, psychological suspense and fiction with a punch – or grit-lit, featuring DS Allie Shenton all based in Stoke-on-Trent. The first in the estate series is Taunting the Dead.
6 (Mel and Oliver tied with) Mel Comley – writing as M A comley has a number of series available to buy, Cruel Justice the first in her Hero’s series is free on amazon.
7) Oliver Tidy – A British author who lives in Turkey, Oliver writes three series of books, Romney and Marsh, Booker and Cash and the Acer Samson series. The first book in the Romney and Marsh series Rope Enough is free on Amazon.
8) Sarah Hilary – Sarah is the writer of the DI Marnie rome series, Winner of the Theakston’s 2015 Crime Novel of the Year, and a 2014 Richard and Judy Book Club pick. The first in the series is called Someone Else’s skin.
9) David Videcette – David is a former Scotland yard investigator with twenty years’ police experience he was a detective on the Anti-Terrorist Branch during the 7/7 London bombings in July 2005. he has used all this experience in writing The Theseus Paradox.
10) Leigh Russell – Leigh writes three series of crime novels the Geraldine steel, DI Ian peterson and Lucy hall series of books. She has been nominated for several awards including CWA New Blood Dagger and CWA Dagger in the Library. Her first Lucy hall book Journey to death was released recently.
11) Louise Ross – Writing as LJ Ross, Louise writes the DCI Ryan series, Her books are all set in the North of England, where she is originally from. Her first book, “Holy Island”, has consistently been listed as an Amazon bestseller since its release in January 2015.
12) Tara Lyons – Has recently released her debut novel featuring DI Hamilton, called In the Shadows. She has also co-written some novels with Mel Comley also featured above.
13) Steven Dunne – writes a series of books set in Derby, that start with the Reaper, featuring the hyper-intelligent but mentally troubled detective, DI Damen Brook. He is currently about to release book 6 in the series.
14) Helen Durrant – Helen publishes a series of books featuring DI Graco set in the fictional industrial northern English town of Oldston. The first in the Series is called Dark Murder.
15) K A Richardson – Recently published her debut novel called With deadly intent featuring crime scene investigator Cass Hunt. Her books feature themes of domestic violence. She has recently signed a new 3 book deal with Bloodhound books.
16) Katerina Diamond – Another Debut novel, that has received critical acclaim, this is a shocking thriller featuring some quite gruesome scenes. Katerina is based in Kent and is currently working on her second novel.
17) Jane Isaac – Jane’s debut novel, An Unfamiliar Murder, was nominated as best mystery in the ‘eFestival of Words Best of the Independent eBook awards 2013.’ She writes 2 series 1 featuring DCI Helen Lavery and 1 featuring DI Will Jackman.
18) Maggie James – Writes psychological suspense novels. Her novella Blackwater Lake is free on Amazon, these are very edge of your seat reads, her newest novel the second captive has recently been released.
Joint 19th) Angie Smith – Based in Yorkshire, Angie writes the CXVI trilogy a series of fast paced international crime thrillers. The third and final novel in the trilogy has recently been released.
19) Michael Kerr – Writes original, action-packed, violent crime thriller, he uses his over twenty years experience in the Prison Service to explore the minds of criminals and the dark worlds of serial killers.
20 ) Owen Mullen – Writes a series of books about Charlie Cameron a PI based in Glasgow, the first in the series is called Games people play. He recently released the second in the series called Old friends and New enemies.